How to Find an Oxfordshire Wedding Venue That’s Right for You
By Kelly Collins /London Venue Expert
Wed 7th Jun 2023 Wedding Venues
Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, Photo by Chloe Winstanley
Oxfordshire is one of the most picturesque parts of England, making it a popular destination for couples who want an idyllic setting for their wedding day. Whether you’re looking for a traditional country estate, a historic mansion, or something more modern and contemporary, the county has plenty of beautiful wedding venues. So, how do you find one that’s right for you?
There are several factors to consider when selecting an Oxfordshire wedding venue, including size and capacity, themes and decor, indoor vs outdoor space, budgeting requirements, catering and equipment needs, and more. It can be overwhelming to take all these details into account, but you don’t have to go it alone. Let us help you make sense of all of it — reach out and we’ll guide you through the process for free.
How to Decide on a Wedding Style That’s Uniquely Yours
One of the don’t-do’s when selecting a wedding venue in Oxfordshire is searching for a location without first deciding on a wedding style. Before you start looking at venues, make sure you have a clear idea of what your dream day looks and feels like. Without that settled, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the number of choices you have.
Choose a style that expresses your personalities, whether it be shabby chic, romantic and airy, modern and minimalistic, or more! For instance, Oxfordshire is known for its natural beauty, so why not opt for a rustic and charming setting that celebrates the outdoors? Or if you’re more of an urban couple, go for a contemporary design with sleek lines and bold colours.
But, how do you go about pinpointing your style?
Here are a few ideas:
- Tap into your creativity: Close your eyes and envision the wedding of your dreams. What do you see? Is it a romantic candlelight dinner, a secret garden party, or a raucous night of dancing? Let your imagination be your guide and draw inspiration from the ideas that naturally come to you.
- Do some research: You don’t have to go it alone. Gather wedding-related photos on Insta and Pinterest, colour and fabric swatches that appeal to you, magazines, etc. and use them as a starting point for creating mood boards. This will give you an idea of what elements you’re typically drawn to.
- Pick a colour palette: Once you find a theme you love, finalise your look by choosing colours that complement it. You can use the same hues for all of your decorations and even in small touches like table linens. This will help to bring a cohesive feeling to your big day.
- Set the tone: As a last step, decide on the formality level of your wedding. Will it have an outdoor, casual feel or will it be more formal or glamorous? By deciding on the tone, you can make sure that all other elements — like your wedding venue — match accordingly.
With all these ideas thought through, it’ll be easier to spot the right Oxfordshire event space when you find it.
Outdoor vs. Indoor Wedding Venues in Oxfordshire
The next call you’ll need to make is whether you’ll hold your wedding indoors or outdoors. The largest factor in this decision will be the season in which you plan to hold your wedding.
The weather in Oxfordshire can be unpredictable, particularly in the winter months. If you’re planning to hold your wedding between October and March, an indoor venue is likely the better choice for ensuring that your guests avoid wet weather.
On the other hand, if you plan a summer wedding between June through September, you’ll probably be considering a beautiful outdoor setting, as Oxfordshire is known for its picturesque countryside views.
Fortunately, plenty of Oxfordshire wedding venues offer both options so you can enjoy a stunning outdoor backdrop with the comfort of knowing that you have an indoor space to retreat to in case of inclement weather. Our best advice is to select a venue that has a rain plan you actually really like, rather than one you’ll be disappointed to turn to if the weather requires it.
Be Selective When Choosing Which Oxfordshire Venues to Tour
Rather than booking tours of dozens of venues, get all the info you need upfront and only tour the ones that meet criteria that matter to you. Here are some of the key things to consider:
- Availability on your desired wedding day
- Whether the venue offers the type of space you’re looking for (indoor or outdoor)
- How convenient the location is for yourself and your guests
- An aesthetic that suits your wedding style
- The must-have amenities, like car parking, bathrooms, bridal suites, etc.
- The catering quality and options (check reviews or ask for personal recommendations)
- Backup options in case of sudden weather changes
Once you’ve narrowed down your options to a few venues, it’s time to get out and explore them in person. Below are some of our favourite Oxfordshire wedding venues to give you an idea of the spaces we like to recommend to couples:
- Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa – A rustic yet modern country retreat close to the M25, this tranquil venue offers stunning indoor and outdoor spaces for your big day.
- Cornwell Manor – Perfect for summer weddings, this timeless Georgian-fronted manor is steeped in history and offers an elegant, historic ballroom dating back to the 1930s.
- The Double Red Duke – A charming 17th-century pub in the Cotswold village of Clanfield, this venue provides a unique and immersive atmosphere for your special day, no matter what the weather throws at you.
- Blenheim Palace – Step back in time with this magnificent 18th-century baroque palace set in the Oxfordshire countryside, boasting six spectacular function spaces, ranging from intimate to grand.
- Kirtlington Park – Get ready to be swept away by this grade I listed English country home nestled amid glorious parklands, offering an idyllic setting and picturesque views for your wedding.
How Far Will Your Budget Stretch at Each Venue?
As you’d expect anywhere else in the world, Oxfordshire wedding venues come at a price point that reflects the size, luxuries, and amenities you’ll receive.
Before you make your decision, take the time to compare prices and consider what’s included in each package.
Some packages may include decorations, sound systems, or catering — all of which can drastically increase your costs if added on individually. Other packages, like dry hire venues, include nothing but the space. Before you get to the stage of visiting venues in person, it’s helpful to understand the inclusions so you can be realistic about whether you can afford the wedding venues you’re touring.
Where’s the Nearest Accommodation to the Venue?
If you know that your wedding attendees are coming from all over the UK or abroad, and they’ll need accommodation, it’s important that you find a venue with nearby lodging options. That could be a hotel or rental property. Ask the venue what’s available and if they have any recommendations. This way you can ensure that your guests are comfortable and taken care of.
How Will You Make Your Wedding Venue Feel Like Yours?
If personalisation and decor are important to you, be sure to choose a wedding venue that will empower you to bring your vision to life. While some venues are more flexible than others, look for ones that allow third-party decoration contractors and have flexibility in terms of decor and style. You want a blank canvas to work with.
You’ll also want to consider the lighting, sound system, and furniture options – all of which can be adjusted or changed to your liking (if the venue allows). This way, you can make sure that your wedding venue looks and feels exactly as you envisioned it.
Work With a Local Venue Specialist to Get Started
Let us help you find the perfect match for your wedding venue needs. With our expertise, we can make sure you get a venue that looks just the way you wanted it to. Let us take the stress out of venue scouting and help you find the place that will make your special day truly unforgettable.